In today's media-driven health world. There is always a new superfood or new antioxidant that reduces your chance of heart diseases by 500%!... Ok, maybe not by that much but you get my point right?
In this article, you will learn the basic supplements you can include in your daily diet for overall health.
But before we get into the good stuff here's a little friendly disclaimer:
The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content, including text, graphics, images, and information, contained on or available through this website is for general information purposes only.
If your thoughts go to Fred Flintstone and those delicious colorful children vitamins, then you my friend are awesome! I grew up taking these myself.
But I had to grow up and graduate to a multi-complex formula that would support my adult needs.... ahh sucks. Anyhoo, multi-vitamins offer an array of health benefits.
- Fills Nutritional Gaps - Even with the abundant about of food we are blessed to have available to us in modern time. It would very hard to meet your daily vitamin requirement. Take for instance, you would have to consume 7 1/2 cups of broccoli just to meet your daily requirements for vitamin A. Now, I love broccoli but 7 1/2 cups is a little too much for my taste. I think its just more convenient to take a pill.
- Reduce Food Cravings - Research shows that taking a multi-vitamins can reduce cravings due to cravings being associated with a deficiency in a diet. This inevitable will help you lose weight if you are not snacking all the time.
- Aids in Healthy Aging - As we age our needs for more vitamins and minerals increase. Due to our lack of our aging body ability to absorb nutrients from the foods we eat.
2. Fish oil
I know a few of you who read this may say "Fish?!" Ewww! But hey it's not like you actually have to eat a fat slab of salmon to get the benefits of fish oil, and sushi is F@#! delicious if ya didn't know. Here's why you may need to rethink your fish oil intake.
- Omega 3's DHA & EPA - Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). These acid help with a sort of health-related issue from brain health to eye health, and even may reduce your risk of heart diseases.. just not by 500% though.
- Improve Body Composition - Researchers believe this happens because fish oil may help you switch from using carbohydrates to fat as a source of fuel during exercise. Fish oil may also aid in retaining muscle mass which in turn will help with burning calories.
- Anti-Inflammatory - The Omega fatty acids in Fish oil have been found to reduce symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. Even if you don't have this serious of an issue fish oil will help out in morning stiffness and joint pain from injuries.
3. Vitamin D
Hey, what a minute! If I take a multi-vitamin why do I need vitamin D. Well, the fact is most multi-vitamin formulas don't offer the recommended daily allowance healthcare professionals recommend. Vitamin D is very important to our health because:
- It is Actually a Hormone - This is because our bodies actually produce Vitamin D through sunlight. All though, a majority of people lack sunlight, vitamin D supplements are needed.
- Important for Bone Health - Vitamin D helps absorb calcium which is necessary for bone growth and health.
- Reduces Depression - In one scientific study vitamin D played a very important role in reduces depression. Participants involved in the study noted an improvement in their symptoms.
Probiotics are natural "good" bacteria in your gut, which can be depleted from things like antibiotic use, anti-inflammatory drug use, vaccination and a poor diet. Lack of this natural bacteria can lead to digestive disorders, food allergies, and auto-immune disorders.
Why you need to restore your gut health;
- Immunity is in Your Gut - 60-80% of your immunity is in the gut. Poor gut health has been linked to hormonal imbalance, depression, anxiety, fatigue, and other chronic health problems.
- Alleviate Symptoms of IBS - Irritable Bowel Syndrome is commonly known as IBS, it's symptoms have been shown to be alleviated by probiotics. In particular probiotics with Bifidobacterium infantis strains.
- Help with Chronic Fatigue - Chronic fatigue often gets misdiagnosed as depression as much as 80% in individuals who get evaluated. It was observed that supplementation with probiotics reduced the duration of fatigue. Also, prevented the decrease in organ size (of spleen and thymus) that was caused by fatigue.
Last but not least protein! And oh how I love me some quality protein. I mean it is essential in for what I love to do! And that's to build more muscle! Who doesn't wanna do that? If you one of those who don't think you need protein, then let me shoot you a few facts;
- You will Eat Less - Protein is more satisfying than carbs or fat. When you feel more satisfied after a meal, you tend to eat less. Naturally causing you to lose weight without even trying.
- Stabilize Blood Sugar - Protein can help slow high glycemic index carbs into your bloodstream. By regulating glucose and insulin levels in your body. Helping with maintaining a healthy weight.
- Recover from Gym - When you train your muscle, you are breaking down the fibers. This is part of the reason why you get "DOMS" delayed onset muscle soreness. The pain felt in muscles several hours to days after unaccustomed or strenuous exercise. Protein helps to build back the muscle stronger and faster.
There is a ton of supplements out there we could have added to the list. This list is a good starting point if you want to start living or continue a healthier lifestyle.
As always consult with your personal physician or healthcare provider before taking any supplements.